Seventeen Editor-in-Chief Ann Shoket on the Mag’s YouTube Issue
There’s something unique about the next issue of Hearst’s Seventeen Magazine, which hits the shelves on September 16. It’s dedicated entirely to YouTube stars. From Shane Dawson to cover girl Bethany Mota, Seventeen’s featuring 40 YouTubers in total in this special issue. Why? Because, surprise surprise, Seventeen’s readers love YouTube creators. Teens loving YouTube — who would have guessed?
VideoInk caught up with the magazine’s editor-in-chief, Ann Shoket, so she could give us more insight into the YouTube issue. She told us about the highlights, the featured ‘Tubers, and the choice to put Mota on the cover, which looks like this:
What made you decide to dedicate an entire issue of Seventeen magazine to YouTube stars?
Do you think YouTube stars appeal more to the magazine’s current demographic than “traditional” Hollywood celebs?
Which YouTube personalities will appear in the issue?
In addition to Bethany, the inside pages feature 30 additional YouTube personalities; including Seventeen’s YouTube Hot List, a power list of 18 superstars who combined have more than 2,800 videos, 29 million subscribers and nearly 6 billion views. Here’s the full breakdown below:
YouTube Hot List:
- The Brits: Marcus Butler and Zoella
- The Hot Guys: The Janoskians
- The Band: Boyce Avenue
- The Funny Girls: Superwoman and Taryn Southern
- The Seventeen Sisterhood: Becky G, Heart Defensor (ThatsHeart), Meghan Rosette, Chelsea Crockett (BeautyliciousInsider), Lisa Schwartz (Lisbug)
- The BFF: Tyler Oakley
Other highlights include:
- Fluer De Force in a lookbook-type story in our front-of-book fashion section
- Shane Dawson, Joey Graceffa, Wassabi Brothers, Charlie Puth taking over the Love&Guys section
- Blogilates taking over the fitness pages and doing a special workout for Seventeen readers
- Ingrid, Dulce Candy, Blaire & Elle Fowler both in the beauty well story and featured as the Beauty Masters; each girl shares her best tricks, inspo, etc
- An excerpt of Michelle Phan’s new book about getting what you want in life
How come you chose Mota for the cover?
The magazine has had its own home on YouTube for some time, now. What in particular made Seventeen such a prime candidate for a YouTube channel?
Seventeen has had a YouTube Channel since 2006. We built our success on beauty videos and behind the scenes with our cover stars. With every video, our readers responded with an even greater demand for our content. They love it.