Amazon Studios Focuses on Preschool Demo, Announces Five Pilots
After the success of the initial round of pilots resulting in “Tumbleaf,” “Creative Galaxy,” and “Annebots” being picked up for full series, Amazon Studios will produce five more original pilots aimed at the 6-11 demographic. And to maintain consistency, the new pilots will once again be hosted on Amazon Instant Video in the U.S. and LOVEFiLM in the U.K., where viewers can provide feedback and, ultimately, pick which series heads to production.
The five newcomers are:
- “Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street,” a live-action adventure show following three teens in a very non-normal, surreal setting. The show’s creator is David Anaxagoras, a first-time show writer found through an Amazon Studios submission.
- “Grid Smasher,” a combination of puppetry and CGI depicting a group of aliens as they try to win a universe-wide game. Showrunner Dan Clark is a “Yo Gabba Gabba!” and “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” veteran and Emmy Award nominee.
- “Hard-Boiled Eggheads,” an animated show offering comedy and action as the protagonists battle science mistakes like toxic waste monsters, mutants, and hostile aliens. It’s familiar grounds for Emmy Award winner Duane Capizzi, who’s worked on shows like “Transformers Prime,” “Men in Black: The Series,” and “Darkwing Duck.”
- “The Jo B. & G. Raff Show,” an animated story about the eponymous TV show and its hosts as they work on their friendship and ability to compromise. Before this pilot, Emmy Award winning writer and producer Josh Selig has worked on “Sesame Street,” “The Wonder Pets,” and “Oobi.”
- “Wishenpoof,” the final animated series about Bianca and her magical powers to make wishes come true. Writer Angela Santomero also created “Blue’s Clues” and “Creative Galaxy,” the latter of which is already in production with Amazon Studios.
Roy Price, Director of Amazon Studios, said, “After the success of our first pilots, we look forward to getting lots more fantastic feedback from kids and parents. For the first time we are offering live-action and animated programming for older children and continuing with entertaining, educational programming for preschool aged children — it’s going to be a lot of fun.”Tags: amazon prime, Amazon Studios, Annebots, creative galaxy, Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street, Grid Smasher, Hard-Boiled Eggheads, kids programming, lovefilm, preschool programming, Roy Price, The Jo B. & G. Raff Show, tumbleaf, Wishenpoof