The Defense of Marriage Act was repealed yesterday (deep in the heart of Pride Month) and pride parades march throughout the world starting tomorrow, so YouTube is helping ramp up for the weekend with a pride-themed #ProudToLove programming block that will be available on the video site today and tomorrow.
The site, famous recently for empowering the “It Gets Better” series aimed at bullied and closeted teens, will be introducing new content and retrospective playlists on the YouTube Spotlight channel, which usually offers a selection of the top trending videos on YouTube.
Playlists already include LGBT Creator Spotlights, Coming Out Stories, Wedding Proposals, The Path to Equality, and more:
- LGBT Stars on YouTube: A look at some of the most popular “out and proud” YouTube channel creators including:
- Hannah Hart became a breakout YouTube star with My Drunk Kitchen, which launched in 2012 and quickly became one of the most watched food and entertainment channels. She pops open a bottle of wine – or a few cocktails – at the beginning and just sees how it goes from there. Hannah will always keep you laughing, as you pick up cooking tidbits along the way.
- Shane Bitney Crone’s first caught national attention with “It Could Happen to You,” a moving plea for same-sex couple rights centered around the loss of his longtime life partner. Most recently, he produced Bridegroom, a motion picture based on his story that debuted at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival with a special introduction from President Bill Clinton, who has endorsed the film. The film will next appear at Outfest in Los Angeles on July 13.
- Davey Wavey is known for his authentic and often irreverent approach. His 600+ videos on YouTube cover everything from how to get six pack abs to how to survive a gay pride parade.
- Todrick Hall’s ability to combine theatrical panache and pop culture have spawned viral hit after viral hit. From CinderFella to a Beyonce-themed flash mob in the middle of a Target, Todrick’s videos are packed with LGBT celeb cameos and are guaranteed to entertain.
- LGBT-Themed Playlists: From President Obama and Lady Gaga to Bill O’Reilly and hot button issues, these playlists focus on popular LGBT topics including:
- It Gets Better - Check out videos from the the “It Gets Better” movement to give hope to LGBT youth from President Obama, Lady Gaga, Randy Williams and many more.
- The Path to Equality: From Stonewall to the Supreme Court and beyond–the struggle has been tough. Celebrate Pride Week with the countless brave LGBT trailblazers and allies who have helped pave the ongoing path to equality.
- Same Sex Marriage Proposals: Watershed moments from the fight for marriage equality.
- Coming Out Stories: A touching list of coming out videos from the YouTube community.
- Songs of Acceptance: Watch these inspiring music videos that promote tolerance, love and acceptance.
Here’s the #ProudToLove’s promotional video, called “Show your pride. Share your love. #ProudToLove” that features Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’ “Same Love,” as well as quick clips from the playlists above.Tags: #ProudToLove, DOMA, It Gets Better, Pride Month, Pride parade, youtube