By Sahil Patel
Animal Planet has launched a new web series tied to its reality show, “Call of the Wildman,” which follows the adventures of Kentucky woodsman Ernie Brown, Jr., nicknamed “The Turtleman.”
In “Backwoods Living with Turtleman,” Brown, Jr. shares DIY nature tips such as scrambling eggs in an orange, building a burglar alarm out of cans, and creating a backpack out of your pants. The series consists of seven short episodes, all of which are available now on Discovery.com.
Here’s a quick overview of all seven:
- Craft Time: In the woods, gathering treasure and need a few more hands? A britches backpack is your ultimate solution, but beware: Ernie may appear pantsless…
- Foodie Fun: Hungry on a hike? Scoop out your orange and fry up some wild eggs!
- Be Healthy: Fight gingivitis in the woods..with just a few sticks.
- Craft Time: A backwoods bottle opener for the critical brews
- From Ernie’s Garden: Keeping the wasps away, creatively.
- DIY Home Tips: A burglar alarm, made of cans.
- Craft Time: Learn to tie the right knot, for the right occasion.
“Backwoods Living with Turtleman” was produced for Animal Planet by Sharp Entertainment, the Manhattan-based production house behind “Call of the Wildman,” as well as other reality TV fare like “Man vs. Food” on Travel Channel and “The Fabulous Life” on VH1. Jillian Horgan at Sharp Entertainment and Betty Chu at Animal Planet are the web series’ executive producers, and Caleb Wilkerson is the supervising producer.
This is the second original web program from Animal Planet to feature The Turtleman. Earlier this year, in “Turtleman Takes Manhattan,” Brown, Jr. left his backwoods abode to check out the sights and sounds of New York, which included going to a Broadway show, ice-skating in Central Park, and eating at Katz’s Deli.